Drawing 000 - Back to Basics

Before I get started, some recollection of what happened when I was little in my primary school. Dad bought me some pencils for writing. I was happy about it but that's where the horror begins. Everything that I wrote is light and unreadable. I was being lectured by dad for being lifeless and lazy in writing and I should write it harder. Yes I did write it harder and for all you may know, I tore the pages because of writing too hard and then I got hit on the head. Until years passed by, I finally found the reason why that particular pencil is being nasty to me and not the others. My Dad had actually gotten me a pencil with the label 5H from his friend. H in this case means HARD and it is meant to be used as outline sketching purpose and it's meant to be light.

* So please take note and learn the basics and don't torture your kids.

My Basic Sketching Materials & Tools
Graphite Pencils:
(Front to Back) ExExB - 5B - 4B - 3B - 2B - HB - F - H - 2H

BACK TO BASICS


Materials

Graphite pencil shades
Graphite Pencils: Comes in range of 10H (hardest and lightest) to 10B (softest and darkest).  It can either be a pencil or a mechanical pencil types. Attached below are the sample of the shades. Well, these shades is also achievable using a few tones of pencils. So it's not necessary to get each and every one of them. Below is some samples of the graphite pencil darkness vs hardness.








Coloring Piece from Johanna Basford's Secret Garden
Colored Pencils: I specifically like this brand COLLEEN for its color variance and its pastel blending is smooth. I've bought both the 785 (standard) and the 787 (neon) range. Works well especially if you like to do layering and blending. Here's a piece of coloring work which I did using the COLLEEN color pencils. Of course if you do well in watercolor which I don't, you can go for the many other brands of watercolor pencils which is widely available in the market.
*On the right my sample of coloring piece from Johanna Basford's Secret Garden.


Charcoal & Conté Sticks: I have a charcoal stick which was given to me by a friend to let me try out sketching using charcoal. Somehow I felt that it is kind of messy and dirty. Could also be that I'm not that experience. Of course I would want to learn this as well and show off some works of my own in this blog. (😇 yup~! very ambitious as you can see that I'm doing a lot of things at one time)

Pastels: I haven't touch these before. Couldn't comment much. Of course same ambition, I would want to learn this as well and show off some works of my own in this blog. 😆

Pens: I see many creative pen works from all around the internet. I've seen sources that you should use only specific pens for pen drawing. But I've seen that some only uses from the range of the normal day to day ball, gel, ink, felt tip, pigment liners, markers, and etc. All can be used for drawings. This depends on your creativity, and techniques learnt.

Tools

Papers: Ranges from thick sketch book papers, or office printer paper. Sketch book papers are normally thick and contains fiber or textured, in which it is suitable for dry materials like the pencils, charcoal, Conté sticks, and color pencils. This helps to bring out the texture. For pen sketch, sketch book papers are unsuitable as it'll smudge the inks or bleed through therefore any fine paper for printer printings are suitable. Cost wise it's even economical than getting a sketch book.

Pencil Sharpeners: I have a few pencil sharpeners on hand. A double hole pencil sharpener for exposing a longer graphite or a shorter graphite, a normal standard length sharpener, and a 2.0 mm lead mechanical sharpener. This comes in handy if you needed a different tip. Of course, this is achievable using the conventional way via a pen knife. Some people will prepare some mini stacks of sand paper to sharpen or to add an edge to the pencil graphite tip or even the charcoal / conté sticks. 

Erasers: Normal polymer erasers are useful if you needed to clean off any bits of pencil marks even at slightest pressure. Knead-able erasers (putty rubber) on the other hand can erase only with marks still visible on paper. This is so as it is meant to collect the graphite dusts off instead of erasing. Additionally it is shape-able for any precision erasing.

Fixing Sprays: It's used to keep the art work intact and in good condition. I have used the lacquer spray to finish up my previous works from high school. I'll stick to this for the time being. Additionally, I used the thin tracing paper to cover each pages of my sketching book temporarily since it's only a start.


Well, lemme get a kick start on what I have learnt soon. Most probably will start with Graphite Pencil Sketching. 😘



* * * * * * * * * *

Comments