Kalimba - My New Toy

KALIMBA (Thumb Piano Music Keyboard) an African musical instrument which is known by different names, including Mbira, Mbila, Mbira Huru, Mbira Njari, Mbira Nyunga, Marimba, Karimba, Kalimba, Likembe, Okeme, as well as marímbula (also called kalimba) in the Caribbean Islands. It is available in many different shapes and sizes.

I'm never a fan of History so u guys can find  via Google or Wikipedia (Here's the link : Mbira).
Well I'm here to share my experience and progress of learning a Kalimba which I've just purchased via 11thStreet. Well of course please.do correct me if I'm wrong in any ways. I'm here to learn and share. And maybe later on, if I managed to find all the necessary parts, I'll learn to make one myself.
First things first, this is my brand new Kalimba and its specifications. 
Kalimba by TALOHA

Specifications:
- Brand name : TALOHA
- Model :K-100
- Made In : Malaysia
- Tuning : C (default)
- Keys : 10 keys
- Material : Birch Wood
- Size (L x W x H) : 17 cm x 13 cm x 3 cm
- Weight : 300 grams


Comes with a FREE lesson book in which the key numbering goes 1 to 10 from left to right. But think I'll translate it into the common number notations which most of us would prefer per the 10-key placements and the number notations for my Kalimba below.

Kalimba Key Notes for Tuning
Notice that some Kalimbas has their tines colored. I'm not sure of which to color nor what material to use. Therefore I'll just stick with the original state for the time being.

First and foremost, do remember to get the Kalimba tuned using a tuner or whichever that is most accessible to you based on the key placements. Once it is done, we are ready to start with playing the Kalimba.

Stay tune for some music which I'll be trying out to arrange. 

Hope it works well and have fun playing it!

Comments