Harmonica 001 - Getting Started

As what I have mentioned previously, my dad never did teach me everything about the harmonica. The only thing he told me was BLOW and DRAW air into the harmonica. Then the remaining was self explore. I've managed to get some tunes. Internet and computers was never an option for self tutorials neither does the state library contained any reference books. Never gotten any guidance nor corrections if i have did it right or wrong then I stopped. Until recently after I've found my hidden harmonica during spring cleaning, I went online search for some sources and found there's so many other methods or play styles that I can do with it.
No worries I'm not here to create yet another tutorial. I'm here to share and update what I did and compile the list of resources while I'm learning.

Getting Started
Let's get started. First and foremost, get a decent harmonica. Nope... Not the plastic toy ones. It doesn't work. Nope... Not the cheap ones too. The cheap ones I have is SWAN MYR20 which i have problem to draw in 2nd hole (no issues with blow). And i checked it in a tuner found that most of the notes are out of pitch which made it sound weird. May need to go for the range at least MYR50 and above. I'm planning on getting the MYR200 which is the descent replacement. Still deciding which to get though. There's the HOHNER Marine Band which consists of many other types (1896,  Deluxe, Crossover, Thunderbird, 364/24), then the Lee Oskar, Suzuki Manji, etc. Well, I'll update again once I have decided and make a note on comparison between a MYR20 vs MYR200 harmonica.

I've did some research online, all beginner lessons calls for 10 holes harmonica in the key of C. All the 12 keys are available (G, Ab, A, Bb, B, C, Db, D, Eb, E, F, F#). That is where you change the harmonica to match the song key you are playing.

Understand the Keys
Here are the charts for reference. Feel free to print it out or to write it somewhere. Since better harmonicas should come with the chart or a mini guide book to get you started.
From the research I gotten, I have to get a Harmonica in the key of C.


How to...
1. Hold
2. Blow
3. Draw
4. Bend
All these you can find a lot of YouTUBE videos to teach you  how.

I used the following app installed in my phone to help play the different styles. It has the exercises to play along with the app as well. some of the keys are still manageable using my SWAN 10 Holes Diatonic. I'll update again after I've gotten more info on which is the best YouTUBEr to follow.

Cover art Cover art

Comments