Harmonica 002 - Getting In Tune

Getting In Tune
In my previous post, I've mentioned about my cheap SWAN harmonica MYR20 which I bought for practice. 

Hero 24 Hiles Tremolo and Swan 10 Holes Diatonic 

The draw on the #2 hole doesn't work. So I went around googling for answers. Don't worry, it's not broken. You can use this as a guide for troubleshooting. 
Here are the possible answers to the problem:-

1. Unable to get a clean draw.
Tomlin Leckie : This is a YouTube video teaching you how to get a clean #2 hole draw. 

I did try this but really couldn't get it out no matter what.

2. The reed is stucked
Do a hard / over blow and over draw on the #2 hole repeatedly and go back to step 1. Then back to step 2 again. Why we do this is that it could be a problem of fuzz, dust, hair, paper, etc. stucked in the reed. 
If over blow or over draw doesn't work, we may need to open the cover plates. Then noticed that the blow reed plates are assembled inside and draw reed plates can be seen outside. My #2 is stucked at draw, let's hope it is because of a fuzz. 
If it doesn't work, let's move to next step

Nope. Not working as well.

3. Plink The Reed
Some said to use finger nails and plink until u get the sound out. But my nails are thick so I've used a thin plastic card to do it. Thn I even pushed it to the inner most to get it slightly bent out. Of course after each try, you need to use step 1 to blow/draw it until successful.
Yes. This is the right step for my harmonica. After 10 or more plinks, it sounded. Yippie~!!!

Tune the Reed
Wait since I'm here, the G is too low almost nearing Gb no matter how i adjusted my mouth it's either an F or Gb. I couldn't get anything near to G. Then back to YouTube Rsleighharp How to tune a harmonica. Then I got it. I didn't tune all since all keys are almoat there. So my G is also almost there should b sufficient for my practice. 
Of course there's a note saying you can't do this for too many times, else it'll damage the reeds.

4. End Of Life / Damaged
If all of the steps not working, it could be a case of cracked / damaged reed. If it's a cheap harmonica like mine, yup just replace it. If it's an expensive one, get a replacement reed.

That's all I can share for now, do comments if there should be anything extra to take note on.
Thanks in advance. 
🎊🎊🎊Happy Thaipusam for the Hindu communities. 🎉🎉🎉

Comments