Drawing 004 - Viewing Objects Differently

In this lesson that I have followed, it teaches us how to view objects differently.
There are many people who have learnt to draw. Some even a self learner like me. I did try to follow an art book when I was little, but I never get the gist of it. Why must we do it. I'm able to get it right. But not most of the time. 
Coming back to the lesson. Many people traces drawing. If you also followed the rapidfireart.com, then you should know what I meant. 
Well all these while I just sketch directly. But the proportion is just out. This is what I meant. I tried to draw a car my following the outline but the proportion is out right. 

Breaking down objects into series of simple shapes like square, triangle, rectangle, trapezoid, round, oval, diamond, and etc. 

Step By Step...
No. I'm not going to use the car as my example for this lesson which I am going through. Since the example lesson is a fly. I will try it with something simple like a bird.

Step 1: Sketch the Overall Structure
This is actually the biggest outline shape of the subject. In lesson example the fly's overall structure is trapezoidal and tutor left out the legs intentionally to get a bigger view.
But sometimes it requires several shapes to form the subject. So I think the bird drawing will be using the several shapes method.


For my structure, I have chosen the hummingbird picture. As an overall structure it would be a very big rectangle, in which I may have difficulty to perform the step 2. This is what I felt. So in this case I have identified 2 rectangles, 3 triangles, and left out the beak for final.

Step 2: Identify Secondary Shapes
In this case I have the small circle for the head, bigger circle for body, triangle for white tail, small ovals for tail feathers, wings triangle for part nearer to body and teardrop shape to feather part of the wings. Hopefully this works out fine, let's move on to next step.

Note from the tutor : If we noticed that we have made a mistake, it's okay to go back to step 1 to redefine the overallssubject again.

Step 3: Define the Subject
Continue to sketch and define the subject until we achieve the desired results. Okay now I'm getting the hang of it. It is still not that good though.



Assignments
Another challenge assignment. We are to go out for a nature sketch. Draw moving objects as well. Another option would be google for pictures of nature scenes, home interiors, or even foods. Not to miss, we would need 5 individual subjects, and 3 scenes.
Here's mine. Took quite a while though. It still feels great seeing what I can achieve.

Four individual subjects + 1 hummingbird (=Five) 


Scene 1

Scene 2
This took me quite a while 

Scene 3



Comments