Watercolour 000 - Basic Materials

Venturing further into next level of art. The WATERCOLOUR. This is to utilise the items which I have in hand and purchase of some new items for the lessons. Now I can make use of my photography light box to capture the pictures for my posts. Hope it works well. Getting started here's the basic tools and materials needed or I have gathered. 

BASIC MATERIALS 



Paints

There's a huge range of water colours available. Either pan or tube. Price range is a bit steep for the branded ones even for students grade. I managed to get a review for Pentel vivid water colours. So I'll stick to this for the time being. I can't really write any reviews without trying other brands.
Note: the illustrator uses the term "pigment" to represent the color paint. Think I'll need to get use to it.

Papers 

Few types of papers available. Below are the most recommend in order. But on a side note, it is still subject to the applications that you are working on.
  1. Hot Pressed
  2. Cold Pressed
  3. Rough Paper
I'm still a newbie so clearing old stock comes first. Hope this unknown paper works. Will run through the prep process to further judge.
Anyways... this is the 50+ years old drawing paper which I inherited from my mother in law. Background of it was that her father made the stack of drawing paper into a hardcover book. In which she did not make any use of it at all.
So this would be my painting progress learning book instead.

Brushes

These are the range of brushes I have. Nylons, horse hairs, etc. I even have the water refill type. Don't really know which is the type that I'll prefer until I really start though. Looks new right? It is new and fresh from the original package. Hopefully it doesn't just crumble.













Palette

Ranges from plastic to porcelain. Comes in small to big in size and foldable or non foldable. I have this plastic type which should be sufficient for the time being. Or follow this link to prep a ceramic plate for use as a palette. 








Other Materials

Cloth / paper towel, sponge, container / cup for water, etc.
Some actually included gouache, acrylic ink, art masking fluid, masking tape/washi tape, etc. I don't have these though.
To add in/update for any additional that I've used. 

As for Tutorials sites or books, I'll be using the following :-
  1. InkStruckStudio : The Illustrator herself is a self learnt watercolour artist who turns passion into full time income. Read more about her in the link attached.
  2. Watercolor for Dummies 😳







Warming Up - Blending Techniques in Watercolour

Exercise #1 : Watering Down 1

  1. Wet brush (not too wet) and pick up pigment. 
  2. Paint a small patch onto paper.
  3. Slightly wet the brush and drag the pigment further down a little.
  4. Repeat #3 to drag the paint further down a little more.
  5. Clean the brush and use remaining pigment in #4  and drag even further.

Exercise #2 : Watering Down 2

  1. Similarly to Exercise #1, instead of dragging the pigment further to water down, we will do patch watering down.

Exercise #3 : Seeping Colours

  1. Use two colours and paint one colour on left and another on the right. Examples used was Pentel's Red Purple and Aquamarine. 
  2. First sample to create is to seep the colour from right into left. Example would be seep Aquamarine into Red Purple. 
  3. Second sample to seep the colour from left into right. Example would be Red Purple into Aquamarine.
  4. Observation of the results would be done to see the differences after the watercolour has dried. I see that the colour is slight darker tone for a vs b as more blue is seen instead. 
This is the exercise that I've completed.

Well, lemme get a kick start on what I have learnt soon. Stay tune for my next post😘


* * * * * * * * * *

Comments