Watercolour 002 - Calligraphy

CALLIGRAPHY

Before venturing further. Was looking at the brushstrokes and thought that this additional section of Watercolour Calligraphy may help in practicing brushstrokes.
Here's some of the calligraphy works that I have tried out.

My Observation:

While I was working on the calligraphy. I went through some YouTube videos, and Googled up some fonts / scripts on how it's to be done. 

Trial#1
1 + 2 : Downstroke, 3 : Underturn, 4 : Overturn, 5 : Oval Curve, 
6 : Compound Curve, 7 : Ascend, 8 : Descend. 
  • I drew some lines as a guide. I couldn't determine which brush to use. I end up using the No.10 synthetic fibre brush which holds lesser pigment and gotten dry before I can finish 1 stroke / character. 
  • Since that the spacing was large, I could not control the strokes. I had even used the brush to try on smaller characters but to no avail. 
  • Another reason was that I could be new and unfamiliar. 
Trial#2
  • In this trial, I used a fine brush (No.2/0) as well as the water refill brush (maybe a No.6) where both are synthetic fibres. I started off with the No.2/0 but I had some difficulty (couldn't figure out why). Then I tried on the water refill brush.
  • I used smaller strokes  / characters compared to the first trial. I noticed that the water refill brush helped in getting the characters further. So it could be that I didn't use enough water to help me drag the strokes through. Then I try again using the No.2/0 (yes~! it works). This means I require more water to pigment ratio to get a smoother brush strokes.
  • In the above attached page, observe that the colors are darker at certain test and lighter at the other. This was to test out the water amount needed in the pigment.

Guess I'll have to come back and revisit this one too for new update after I really get the hold of it.

I must really start the new adventure this time~! 😘


* * * * * * * * * *

Comments